EP10 - Using Git on a Production Website
This week we talk about what you need for setting deploying to your production website with Git. We go through different existing cloud services that let you deploy in the same fashion. Then we cover how to have a similar setup with shared hosting.
Hostgator.com - Unlimited Space, Unlimited Bandwidth and Stellar Support.
Use coupon code Dev1Podcast for 25% off. Use coupon code Dev1Reseller for $25 off.
Download: Direct Link
Itunes: itunes link
Hack of the Week
Erick shares his most recent hack involving a Hanging with Friends “helper” website. Where you would type in the known letters and it would suggest possible words for the answer.
What do I need to know?
What do I do?
- If not using above services
- Ghetto way: push directly to hostgator
- problems? crash your site?
- maybe ok when you are by yourself
- Push directly into a working repo
- Running unit tests?
- use git hooks to check for validating latest commit
- Push into a bare repo, then make your “environments” pull
- Leverage Hosted Git Services
- github.com / bitbucket.org / gitorious.org
- pull requests
- anything with web hooks